• Advisory is closed for the final three weeks of school

May 2 Daily Update
May 2 Daily Update
Joaquin Perez, WTV Producer • May 2, 2024

WTV's Sadie Johnson brings you today's news and announcements, including NHS voting, UIL academics, and this week's edition of My Life As.

Sooeun goes Solo: dating

Rin Ryu
In this weekly blog, Sooeun goes Solo, senior Rin Ryu shares her opinion on all things K-pop from hot takes to the latest trends.

About a month ago, Karina’s Aespa and actor Lee Jae-wook were confirmed to be in a romantic relationship by their respective agencies. Five weeks after going public, they announced that they broke up due to the extreme backlash from fans, primarily from Karina’s fanbase. 

Fans sent trucks with electric billboards that displayed the message, “Is the love given to you by your fans not enough?” and criticized Karina for not focusing on her group and fans as the leader of Aespa. Karina even posted a handwritten apology on instagram, apologizing for surprising fans with the news, promising to “heal the wounds” and vowing to show fans a “more mature and hardworking side” in the future. 

I’m not writing about this because I’m just so upset about their breakup that I had to talk about it. Honestly, I don’t really care about their relationship, but I just find the whole situation ridiculous. Karina is 23; most 23 year olds will go on dates and pursue relationships. Even though she isn’t the “typical” 23 year old, she and other idols should be allowed to date without having to deal with consequences. After all, aren’t fans supposed to want what’s best for the idol?

This isn’t just an issue with this particular relationship. Dozens of other relationships involving idols have ended shortly after going public. The hate and backlash from fans seemed to be too much for the idols to continue pursuing the relationship.

A lot of fans just need to understand that the relationship they are in with the idol is nothing more than a fan and celebrity relationship. But some fans become so parasocially attached to these idols that they begin to see anything that takes away an idol’s attention away from them as bad. 

Korean entertainment agencies are aware of the parasocial attachment some fans seem to have too, with most agencies having strict regulations that prohibit public romantic relationships. This rule tends to get a lot less strict as idols gain more experience in the industry, but the “scandolous” nature of romantic relationships involving idols still stands. 

Why is such a normal part of life considered to be a scandal? Just let idols date and experience life like any other young adult. Considering how careful idols have to be with their personal life, its no wonder that so many suffer with mental health issues.