• Orchestra All-Region clinic/concert Friday & Saturday moved to Independence due to auditorium repair work

• Blackout at boys' basketball game versus Rowlett Friday in the Nest

• Girls' basketball starts District 13-5A play Friday at Wakeland

• Wingspan wins 2017 NSPA Broadcast Pacemaker

Top five sports moments of 2016-17

From+the+girls%27+golf+team+placing+4th+at+state+to+individual+performances+in+other+sports%2C+the+2016-17+school+year+featured+several+athletic+achievements+of+note%2C+with+sports+editor+Keegan+Williams+choosing+this+year%27s+top+five.+
From the girls' golf team placing 4th at state to individual performances in other sports, the 2016-17 school year featured several athletic achievements of note, with sports editor Keegan Williams choosing this year's top five.

@redhawksgolf

@redhawksgolf

The 2016-17 school year featured a bunch of stand out performances in athletics with several events standing out and being chosen as the top five sports moments of the year.

Eilidh McGarva
Football players got a sneak peak at the Ford Center before playing their first game at the Cowboys’ new indoor practice facility.

The opening of the Ford Center

One of the biggest events to take place this year was the opening of the Ford Center at The Star. The Cowboys $1.5 billion practice facility and headquarters opened in August with a Frisco ISD quadruple header. The newest addition to the Frisco sports landscape quickly became a star attraction with schools throughout the area playing games at the 12,000 seat indoor facility, including numerous playoff games.

Frisco Hockey

Taking a trip to Cleveland for the national tournament, the Frisco Ice Hockey Association came home with a win and a national title. The team went 6-0 in the tournament to win the championship against a team from Missoula, Mont. Amongst the team members, five are Redhawks including Chase Nies, Andrew Cimino, James Gillilan, Skylar Boughner, and James Wheeler.

Sports to state

Earning a trip to state in any sport is an accomplishment, but in 2016-17, several teams and athletes made it to the highest competition level. Cross country sent the girls’ team and a couple of boys to state, with the girls team finishing in third place, wrestling and swim also had teams battle at state. Girls’ golf made it as a team as well, going to the state tournament for the fifth time.

Nikita Naumov
Several Redhawk swimmers made it to the state swimming meet in Austin.

Boys’ golf

For the first time in school history, the boys’ golf team finally made it to the regional tournament. After being overshadowed by the girl success in making to state so many times, the team finally made it out of the district realm. Although their success ended after regionals, it was a big feat for the team.

Robison setting records

For the 100th time in his high school wrestling career, senior Jordan Robison won a match by pinning his opponent. Robison ended his high school career with a total of 151 high school wins, 107 by pin. According to his coach, he pinned about 12 out of 14 of his opponents, something unheard of in most high school wrestlers. Robison reached the 100 win club in the middle of his junior year and has averaged about 40 wins per season and won a state championship in 2016.