Enjoying the experience

Girls’ basketball team makes the most out of first trip to State

• The back of the FISD SUV’s make it clear where the girls’ basketball team was headed.

• After stopping in Waco for lunch at Rudy’s the team gets ready to get back on FISD SUV’s for the rest of the trip to San Antonio.

• Talking in the hotel lobby, assistant basketball coach Leslie Powell listens to head coach Ross Reedy.

• Head basketball coach Ross Reedy talks to junior Jordan Hamilton in the hotel lobby.

• Freshman Randi Thompson checks out a peacock outside the hotel in San Antonio.

• Senior athletic trainer Derrica McDowell gives photographer Sarah Philips a stare down.

• Assistant basketball coach Leslie Powell and head basketball coach Ross Reedy look on during Wednesday’s shootaround.

• Players shoot at different baskets during Wednesday’s shootaround.

• Sophomore Katelyn Burtch gets ready to shoot a layup during Wednesday’s shootaround.

• After arriving in San Antonio and checking into their hotel, the team held a shootaround at MacArthur High School.

Making school history, the girls’ varsity basketball team is in San Antonio for the first time in the state tournament taking on Vista Ridge Thursday night at 8:30 p.m. at the Alamodome . Leaving school after a sendoff Wednesday morning, the girls arrived in San Antonio ready to play, but also excited to enjoy the overall experience of being at the state tournament.

“It’s an experience and opportunity to be together as a team and have fun and make memories that last a lifetime,” junior Rebecca Lescay said.

With five managers accompanying the team on this trip and assisting the coaches with numerous tasks, the trip is a long-awaited opportunity for more than the players, as the managers have been with the team all throughout this road to state.

It’s crazy because that’s the legacy I get to leave. Our last year we get to bring the team to state. It’s just a really awesome memory to have.

— senior guard Megan Soulakis

“State means that the years that everyone has put into this program has finally paid off,” senior manager Riley McGuiness said. “With the hard work and the hours they’ve all spent, they deserve this. I’m really happy that they get this experience because of the hours they put in, because of how many times a day they have to come in to the gym, because of how much they research other teams. It’s really cool that they get to experience this, they deserve it.”

Along with the managers, two student trainers have also traveled with the team to make sure the players stay healthy and prepared to play.

“I feel like state is the reward for all their hard work, but also for us because we take care of them, going to state is kind of a perk for us,” senior trainer Derrica McDowell said. “There’s an excitement in the air and it’s a privilege to take care of them in this important moment and make sure they stay healthy.”

Amid practices, shoot-arounds, and watching film to prepare for the state semifinal, the girls are making time to bond and have fun with each other on this state trip. With the team set to play Thursday night and possibly again on Saturday, the team has several days to spend together and make the most of their historic trip to the state tournament. For seniors, the trip has a special meaning as they prepare to leave their basketball careers at the Nest.

“It’s awesome because it’s our first time going to state and it’s my senior year,” senior guard Megan Soulakis said. “It’s crazy because that’s the legacy I get to leave. Our last year we get to bring the team to state. It’s just a really awesome memory to have.”