• The 2024-25 school year begins Aug. 12
  • Wingspan is on summer break until August

Wingspan’s featured athlete for 5/9 is varsity football player, sophomore Connor Johnson.
Featured Athlete: Connor Johnson
Neta Even, Guest Contributor

Wingspan: What position do you play in football? Johnson:...

Wingspan’s featured athlete for 5/2 is varsity baseball player, sophomore Nathan Wixon.
Featured Athlete: Nathan Wixon
Neta Even, Guest Contributer

Wingspan: What is your favorite part about playing...

Wingspan’s Featured Athlete for 4/18 is tennis player, sophomore Anya Krishna (second from the left).
Featured Athlete: Vivianne Haggard
Ale Gonzalez, Sports Reporter

Wingspan: When and why did you start playing tennis? Haggard:...

View All
May 17 Daily Update
May 17 Daily Update
Karina Grokhovskaya, WTV Executive Producer • May 17, 2024

WTV's Ryan Shapiro, Karina Grokhovskaya, and Sadie Johnson bring you a few last words

Artistic Expressions: Nicole Johnson

Managing+editor+Faith+Brocke+sits+down+with+violinist+and+clarinet+player+Nicole+Johnson+to+talk+about+her+journey+playing+both+instruments.+
provided by David Wang
Managing editor Faith Brocke sits down with violinist and clarinet player Nicole Johnson to talk about her journey playing both instruments.

Name: Nicole Johnson
Grade: senior

Wingspan: What made you interested in violin?

Johnson: “Well, I didn’t really have a choice. I started when I was three. My parents started me when I was very young. I always just started listening to my sister’s violin lessons when I was two years old and then just started actually taking violin lessons when I was three.”

Wingspan: Do you have a preference between either of the instruments?

Johnson: “I really like both instruments. I’ve played the violin my whole life, so I for sure really like the violin, but I do really like clarinet, and I’m going into college for clarinet, so I kind of am leaning more towards clarinet.

Wingspan: Who are your musical inspirations? 

Johnson: “I think my family. My mom’s a violinist, and my dad’s a band director, so I’ve been surrounded by music my entire life. My grandpa is also a clarinet player. So I get all of my clarinet stuff from him. And then my grandma was also a violinist. So, there are just many, many musicians in my life.”

Wingspan: What do you love most about playing the violin and clarinet?

Johnson: “I just really like being able to try new repertoire. Being able to hear [the song] from sight reading and being able to hear the process of creating music and hearing the full piece together. Also, being able to do different types of groups like trios, chamber groups, full orchestras, that kind of stuff.”