April 29 Daily Update
April 29 Daily Update
Karina Grokhovskaya, WTV Executive Producer • April 29, 2024

WTV's Kathryn Murphy brings you today's news and announcements including early voting ending, closed advisory, and this week's edition of trivia.

Streaming now Redhawks on NBC Sports Next

Jason Helmick
FISD partners with NCB Sports Next to provide a new streaming service for middle and high school sport fans.

Home to 12 high schools and 18 middle schools, Frisco ISD contains approximately 12,000 student-athletes that will compete in a cumulative total of well over 1,000 games during the 2023-24 school year. While it’s unlikely every parent or fan can be present at every game, Frisco ISD’s new streaming program, FriscoSportsLive.com, has now made it easier than ever to keep up with favorite teams and players. 

“Frisco ISD is proud of the achievements of all its students and thankful for how our community supports the athletics programs,” FISD Athletic Director Jerry Littlejohn said in a FISD news release. “We’re excited that our students’ performances and achievements will be showcased on the SportsEngine platform and how it will add to the experience of participants, families and fans throughout the district and beyond.

The school district has partnered with NBC Sports Next, a sector of NBC Sports to achieve this all-new streaming program. For $9.99 a month or $79.99 annually, viewers can see live score updates of games, video feeds, as well as on-demand content of their teams through FriscoSportsLive.com. 

“I plan to purchase this new one,” varsity volleyball mom Carol Brown said. “My two main reasons are so my mom can watch the games and to have them recorded for memories so I don’t have to record while I am at the game. She is in her 80’s and can’t drive over here much to watch.”

In previous years some sports such as football, soccer, basketball, and volleyball have been available for streaming via NFHS. But now, new panoramic cameras with motion tracking will capture all the previous sports recorded as well as softball, baseball, diving, and swimming.

“I think it’s a good opportunity,” LHS Campus Athletic Coordinator Matt Swinnea said. “In the past, we have just streamed football and soccer and basketball and volleyball so things where we had cameras in just the gyms and the football field. But now we’re gonna be able to get to all sports. I think that it will be a great opportunity for more students to be seen.”

As well as new cameras and sports being recorded, one game a week during the football season will be selected for a live production stream with students from the district’s CTE Sports Broadcasting class as well as the Sports Broadcasting Club producing the broadcast. 

“This experience could be really helpful in the future,” sports broadcasting class student, senior Ryan Shapiro said. “If I get a job in the future in this field, I already have experience not only working the job, but also knowing the atmosphere during game time and before and after as well.”

The full production will include multiple camera operators as well as live replay footage during the games. With more cameras comes more eyes, but senior varsity football player Damon Benson does not believe the production will add stress to him and his teammates. 

“Knowing that our games will be streamed and turned into like real production doesn’t make me feel pressured in any way,” Benson said. “I think from playing in the Ford Center and Toyota Stadium last year, I’m used to playing with a ton of eyes on me.”

With scores and game footage being so easily accessible, varsity softball player junior Delila Bond hopes fans will still show up to games. 

“It being like many more people can watch it instead of them having to come to the game,” Bond said..”I just still hope that people come to the game to watch and not just online. The in-person support means so much to us, we don’t like empty stands.”