• Advisory is closed for the final three weeks of school

Wingspan’s Featured Athlete for 4/18 is tennis player, sophomore Anya Krishna (second from the left).
Featured Athlete: Vivianne Haggard
Ale Gonzalez, Sports Reporter

Wingspan: When and why did you start playing tennis? Haggard:...

Wingspan’s featured athlete for 4/4 is varsity track and field athlete, sophomore Cecelia Rowe.
Featured Athlete: Cecelia Rowe
Zachary Moland, Sports Reporter

Wingspan: When and why did you start participating...

Wingspan’s featured athlete for 3/28 is varsity baseball player, sophomore Nick Smith.
Featured Athlete: Nick Smith
Lilian Johnson, Sports Reporter

Wingspan: When and why did you start playing baseball? Smith:”I...

View All
May 1 Daily Update
May 1 Daily Update
Joaquin Perez, WTV Producer • May 1, 2024

WTV's Joaquin Perez brings today's news and announcements, including dual credit, the APES wetlands project, and AP world history.

Bids to state on the line for Redhawks track and field team

• The numbers told the story at the Area meet as senior Syndi Wilkins (#1) and junior Sofia Golladay (#2) finished in 1st and 2nd place in the 3200 and hope to do the same at the Regional meet Friday and Saturday in Arlington.

• With two chances to advance to state, senior Jack Voehringer is competing in both the 800 and 1600 at Friday’s 5A Region II meet at UT-Arlington.

• After a late surge to finish in 3rd place at the Area meet and advance to the regional meet junior Cayley Beaumont and Delaney Davidson celebrate on the infield at Kuykendall Stadium.

• The girls’ 4×400 relay: team of Delaney Davidson, Jade Burrowes, Chelsea Ross, Cayley Beaumont. with alt. Ellyan Robins and Laya Mallina finished 3rd in the Area meet and hope to advance to state.

• After finish 3rd in the girls’ 4×400 relay at the Area meet, the Redhawks celebrate advancing to Friday and Saturday’s regional meet at UT-Arlington.

• Setting up at the starting blocks for the 4×400 at the Area meet, senior Delaney Davidson and the rest of the relay team advanced to the regional meet Friday and Saturday at UT-Arlington.

• Nearly a dozen members of the track and field team competed in the UIL 5A Region II meet at UT-Arlington on Friday and Monday, with senior Syndi Wilkins (3200 M Run) & Jack Voehringer (800 M Run) advancing to state.

Eleven Redhawk track and field athletes will be competing in the Region 2-5A Championships Friday and Saturday at the University of Texas at Arlington’s Maverick Stadium. These athletes will participate in a variety of events, including the long jump, high jump, pole jump, triple jump, 4x400m, 800m, 1600m, and 3200m.

Girls’ head track coach Khera Vay believes that the athletes’ character will ensure success over the weekend.

“The strength of this group is the support, love and respect they have for each other and the knowledge of the challenges that each individual event brings to the others,” Vay said. “I know the time, effort and discipline they have brought to every detail of the season…will pay dividends this weekend. The young people they are speak volumes above any athletic accolades they can achieve and the character traits they all possess will help guide their success this weekend as well.”

1600m and 3200m athlete, senior Sydni Wilkins, is proud of what the Redhawks have accomplished so far and is ready to work towards accomplishing several goals.

[W]e run pretty consistently at every meet, [so a]s a team, we are hoping to show off all the hard work we have put in over the season,” Wilkins said. “So many girls making it this far to regionals is super exciting, considering how young our team is [and that] many athletes are freshmen. Individually, I am focusing on the 3200m and hoping to run a fast enough time to get me the wild card for the state meet.”