March 1 Daily Update
March 1 Daily Update
Lauren Pratt, Producer

WTV's Neta Even brings you today's news and announcements...

The Weekly: spring fashion

March 1 Daily Update
March 1 Daily Update
Lauren Pratt, Producer • March 1, 2024

WTV's Neta Even brings you today's news and announcements including FISD's job fair, NHS applications and this week's edition of Real Talk.

Pop of Culture: Thanksgiving Day parade

In+this+weekly+blog%2C+staff+reporter+Lilian+Johnson+talks+about+everything+pop+culture.+
Rin Ryu
In this weekly blog, staff reporter Lilian Johnson talks about everything pop culture.

The Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade is one of my favorite Thanksgiving traditions. The variety of festive balloons, floats, and performances make it a great way to start the day of food, family, and gratitude, and it marks the beginning of the holiday season. 

This year’s parade made history. It was seen by 28.5 million viewers on NBC, its largest audience ever in its 97th year of running. Also, making headlines was its brief interruption when a group of pro-Palestine protesters ran onto the parade route and attempted to glue themselves to the street.

Last year, my family became a Turkey Trot family, so unfortunately I was only able to catch the last hour of the parade. Although I didn’t watch the entire parade, my favorite performances were The Rockettes and Brandy. Brandy sang Someday at Christmas, which is one of my favorite Christmas songs. I also love the high school marching bands and all of the fun balloons. The parade has something to entertain everyone.

Other performers at the parade were Cher with her new song DJ Play a Christmas Song, Jon Batise with Worship, and many others. Since last year, seven new balloons and six new floats have been added. The parade was hosted by Savannah Guthrie, Hoda Kotb and Al Roker from the Today show.

Each year the parade ends with Santa Clause waving goodbye but for me, he’s saying hello to the official start of Christmas time; my favorite time of the year.